[lug] command line editing in vi

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 7 10:13:56 MDT 2001

Hugh, I think I know what's up here.  RH distributes two (or more) forms of vim.  The common form is basically just like vi (even the command filename).  The enhanced version, however, is required to use the arrow keys for command history editing.  By default, I only had vim-common (and the required vim-minimal) installed.  After adding vim-enhanced, I was able to invoke 'vim' and get the full-blown version of vim.  At that point, you may decide to 'ln -s vim vi'

$ rpm -q -a|grep vim
vim-common-6.0-0.27
vim-enhanced-6.0-0.27
vim-minimal-6.0-0.27

-John

Hugh Brown wrote:

> Yes, I wasn't clear.  When I said command line mode, I really meant the ex
> interpreter that is invoked when typing a colon while in command mode.
>
> On a stock rh 6.2 machine, I can scroll through the commands I have used at
> the ex interpreter using the up and down arrow.  I also used to be able to
> use Ctrl-V followed by Enter to generate non-printing characters.
>
> Hugh
>
> "Shannon Johnston"
> >
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like Hugh is looking for
> > something that will simulate bash history in vim. I.E. - the ability to
> > push the UP arrow and scroll through a list of commands previously run.
> >
> > Shannon

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |