[lug] getting KRUD up

Kenneth D. Weinert kenweinert at home.com
Sat Jun 16 11:55:42 MDT 2001

Well, I've managed to install the KRUD distro I picked up on Thursday, now
have just two problems.

I'm looking for hints on where to look for solutions.

1) X is hosed - in fact, X is *so* hosed that it screws up my alternate
text terminals - I get just blinking colored boxes on them, nothing
recognizable at all. If I type blindly I can do whatever I need to. The X
display that comes up is sort of recognizable (ie, images are recognizable)
but I have blinking lines, etc. The card/monitor are just as I have them on
windows so I'm not sure what I've done wrong here. I have manually inputted
the H and V resolution (from the monitor manual) and the card (3Dfx Voodoo
Banshee, 16M) is properly recognized. I've even re-run Xconfigurator to no
avail. Oh, one note: I was able to correctly use the graphical install.

2) I have (as you can tell) @Home cable - right now it is hooked in to my
USB port. Can I use it that way or do I need to get a NIC and plug it in
that way. A pointer on where to look to get the network stuff configured
(including dhcp) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.