[lug] getting KRUD up

Kenneth D. Weinert kenweinert at home.com
Sat Jun 16 14:44:13 MDT 2001

At 12:56 PM 6/16/01 -0600, you wrote:
>"Kenneth D. Weinert" wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for hints on where to look for solutions.
> >
> > 2) I have (as you can tell) @Home cable - right now it is hooked in to my
> > USB port. Can I use it that way or do I need to get a NIC and plug it in
> > that way. A pointer on where to look to get the network stuff configured
> > (including dhcp) would be greatly appreciated.

>Uhhh ... OK - what kind of cable modem do you have?  Does it have a network
>port as well as a USB port?

It's a SURFboard SB3100 Cable Modem and when they installed it they used a
network->USB converter, so it would be easy to use with a NIC.

>FWIW, USB is _crappy_ for networking and (IMHO) should be used ONLY if there's
>no other choice.

<snip>

>But if you don't want to go the network route, then it would be good to know
>what brand of cable modem you're using (including chipset info if available).

Offhand I don't have the chipset info, but I believe I've got that pesky
box around here with the docs in it. I'll have a look.

>As for DHCP - with @Home you typically tell your DHCP client your computer's
>hostname (as assigned by @Home).  With Red Hat (and, I presume, with KRUD) you
>do this by including the line 'DHCP_HOSTNAME="whatever it is"' in
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or the appropriate ifcfg file for
>the NIC in questions).
>
>If you want an sample ifcfg file let me know - I can send you a working one
>from a Linux box on @Home in Lakewood.

A sample would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.