[lug] OT: Enterprise DB Migration

Kyle Moore kmoore at trustamerica.com
Mon Jun 18 08:26:07 MDT 2001

Hopefully some of my friends here at BLUG can be of assistance with some
info. I'm looking for anyone who has migrated or attempted to migrate
their business to Oracle and would be willing to give me a few minutes
of their time.

Our business currently runs a legacy database (UniVerse) on HP-UX with a
TUI application for internal users and a Visual Basic application served
over Citrix for our clients. We will deploy a web-based application
common to both our internal users and clients. We have formed a team to
evaluate "the big three" (Oracle, DB2, MS SQL) and migrate our
architecture to whichever one we pick. I have volunteered to research
Oracle so am looking for people that have done this before to interview.

I strongly feel that UNIX is the way to go for this application (highly
available and high performance) but it seems like sort of an uphill
battle against how cheap MS SQL is and the propaganda that the MS folks
give when here. They say that 2000 is the most fastest, most stable,
best smelling OS ever and SQL is a DB to match.

I appreciate any comments or information offered.

Thanks
--
Kyle Moore
UNIX SysAdmin