[lug] large boot image required

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jun 18 10:42:28 MDT 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 11:38:53PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> >time I add some other files needed for boot, it still exceeds 2.3 MB. So
> >I am looking at the possibility of a bootable cd rom, but do not have a
> >burner on my machine. So I am thinking of doing all I can to create an
>
> According to the mkisofs man page for creating bootable CDs:
>
>    The boot image must be exactly the size of either a 1.2, 1.44,  or
>    a  2.88  meg floppy, and mkisofs will use this size when creating the
>    output iso9660 filesystem.
>
> So, going to a CD isn't going to help.

When creating a boot device through yard scripts, it first creates the
image on a loopback device, then dd's it to the floppy. My floppy drive
is only 1.44 MB. But if I could do 2.88 MB, it would work, I need about
2.3 to 2.4 MB, and though I can't do a 2.88 MB floppy, I can simulate it
on loopback, so this is sufficient (I could simulate a 25 MB floppy this
way if I wanted). My real concern is if I can create a boot image on my
machine, then network it to another that has a burner (running win 2k
unfortunately)? Locally I know dd would be used to avoid fragmentation,
but what happens if I ftp it to another machine? Will this break it?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com