[lug] /etc/passwd entry

Hugh Brown hugh at vecna.com
Tue Jun 19 11:24:34 MDT 2001

gdm is the gnome desktop login program.  I don't know what the account is
for, you could do a find on your system that lists the things that gdm owns

find / -user gdm -print >/tmp/gdm.owned.files

and then look at the list and see if it does anything.

Another option would be to copy your /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files to a
safe place, remove it and then restart X (Ctl-Alt-Backspace) at the gdm
login window and see what it does.  If it barfs, put it back, if it doesn't
don't worry about it.

Your final option would be to wait for someone that has a clue to respond.
:)

Hugh

"Justin"