wvdial (was: Re: [lug] config modem w/ mandrake7.2)

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Wed Jun 20 07:38:18 MDT 2001

At 00:15 6/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Just a note on modems under Linux...  There are two kinds of Linux modem
>users -- those who use wvdial, and those who need to.  ;-)

Back when I used a dialup, I used good ol' ppp-on and emacs to configure it.
That way, if X wasn't working, I could always get on the net and download or
read some HOWTO's, send help mail to BLUG, or whatnot.

The thing I liked about linux is that things weren't hidden. I mean, once one
knew what files to edit, it was cake. But anymore, with things like linuxconf
settings are hidden, and even editing the usual files does not mean it will
actually change the settings.

Now tho', I am stuck with DSL. oh woa is me...
:)

ljp