[lug] Boulder Linux Users Group - June 14, 2001 Meeting Summary

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Thu Jun 21 11:14:45 MDT 2001

              Boulder Linux User's Group Meeting Summary

Attendance:  65+

Synopsis:  Chris Riddoch took the podium this month as master of
ceremonies.  (It was a good chance for me to sit back and just attend a
meeting for a change.)

We started things off with a demo of command line bash scripting given by
Chip Atkinson <catkinson at Circadence.com>, and followed this up with Kevin
Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> giving the featured presentation on "5 Simple
steps to securing your linux box".  Namely,

   1. Apply all Updates/Errata
   2. Disable or remove things you don't use
   3. Setup a firewall
   4. Use encryption
   5. Restrict remote access

He went into much more detail describing the tools and techniques needed
to implement each of these steps.  A copy of his presentation slides are
available on the web at <http://www.tummy.com/Presentations/5steps/>.

We wrapped up the evening with our usual general Q&A session followed by
the door prize drawing, and after meeting socializing.

Next Meeting:  July 12, 2001, 7:00 p.m.,
               NIST Auditorium, 325 Broadway, Boulder CO,
               Jabber - Instant Messaging <http://www.jabber.org/>
               by Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>