[lug] Problems with Toshiba 1625 -- possibly overheating with RH 7.1

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jun 21 13:50:21 MDT 2001

John> Hello,

John> I am using a Toshiba Satellite 1625 CDT with the 1.11 BIOS
John> upgrade (which set temperature parameters for the CPU
John> temperature).

John> This computer has run Red Hat versions 6.2 and 7.0 without
John> problems.

John> With Red Hat 7.1, however, I was completely unable to install
John> it. The system would begin the installation and then, about 3/4
John> of the way through it, would lock up. The keyboard and mouse and
John> the on/off key would not work. The fan ran, and the CD ran, but
John> there was no disk activity. I was forced to use the hard-reset
John> button on the side of the system to reboot. When I tried to
John> install RH 7.1 again, each time I did, the installation failed
John> sooner into the process with the same symptoms.  Changing the
John> types of installation, from laptop to custom, did not matter.

John> With KRUD 7.1, I have been able to install it with the default
John> "laptop" configuration, but am still having the same
John> problems. At variable intervals, ranging from 5 to 15 minutes,
John> the fan comes on and the system locks up -- keyboard, mouse and
John> off/on button are inoperable and I am forced to use the button
John> on the side to shut down the system.  The various logs do not
John> show any information as to what is happening.

John> This activity seems to be CPU dependent -- it will occur much
John> quicker if I am trying to install a new software program by
John> compiling it. While the computer does not feel any hotter than
John> usual, I am wondering if this is a problem with it
John> overheating. I have fiddled with the BIOS controls to set the
John> fan and power, but to no avail.

humm...well, the diffrence there is that 7.1 uses the 2.4.x kernel,
which 6.x and 7.0 use the 2.2.x kernel.

Not sure what to tell you. I guess you could try the newest 2.4.x
kernel (2.4.5 currently) and see if it has the problem solved. 2.4.2-2
is the kernel that redhat ships with 7.1

You could also I suppose install 7.1 and then downgrade the kernel
back to 2.2.19?

John> Does anyone else have this problem, or can anyone provide advice
John> on how to solve it? I would prefer to run Red Hat 7.1 rather
John> than 7.0.

John> John Kottal

kevin