[lug] startx failing

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jun 23 12:20:22 MDT 2001

The best I can tell you in that case is that you know your mouse was
working, and it must be either the config file CorePointer, ServerLayout
(related to CorePointer), or something changed the mouse itself. In the
case of changing the mouse itself, it doesn't sound like you made any
machine configurations, but if you did anything even slightly different,
it is possible irq could have changed on something (unlikely, but
possible), causing the mouse to actually fail. The fact that it says "No
core pointer registered" does not say enough (with what I know) to
decide whether it thinks config did not set it up, or whether it says it
tried to but failed. In console mode, does gpm work...does the mouse
function? If so, then it has to be config file failure.

I can give you one very primitive means of testing if your mouse is
connected correctly (don't laugh when I mention this). There is a file,
/proc/interrupts, that lists the number of interrupts a given hardware
IRQ has seen since bootup. The ps/2 style mouse on a psaux port probably
does not share IRQ with anything else (mine doesn't, IRQ 12). For what
I'm about to tell you, do not bother using "tail -f" to view, it won't
work, this is not a regular file. Type "cat /proc/interrupts | grep
Mouse". You can use something like control-p on most shells (maybe not
the exact combo, but something like it) to get your prior command back
onto the command line for repeating it. If you do not move the mouse
(even a shaking table will move it), the "PS/2 Mouse" entry should not
increment (the keyboard entry will, since you have to enter the
command). Now move the mouse back and forth a short amount, and see the
count again...if it went up, then the hardware sees it, and the port
itself is active and connected correctly to the mouse. If after moving
the mouse it did not go up, double check that the mouse is plugged into
the connector (I've had one partially seated that only appeared to be
plugged in). That should at least give you a guarantee of whether it is
a hardware or software issue (not possible to do this with shared IRQ
devices, or devices that you can't control their hardware IRQ
generation).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com