[lug] debian image question, /dev/mouse, too

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jun 23 15:56:30 MDT 2001

Rob Mohr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had some starts and stops during install process, a couple of
> spontaneous reboots.
>
> After the initial install I kept having a problem with the x config with
> respect to the mouse.  Setserial seemed to be not working correctly.  I
> removed it and  installed it again.  (While doing this the dselect manager
> told me to move /lib/modules/2.2.17 to .old and reinstall.  Also, it gave
> me an option to stop the install config process or to continue ahead.  I
> decided to go foward.  To reinstall this image should I use dselect or
> apt?)
>
> On the tail end of the configuration from the above the program asked me
> specifically where is the mouse located, to be located.  I put /dev/mouse.
> After the deselect concluded, I followed the aviso to do an immediated
> reboot.  The setserial looks as broken as it did before.  And  I still
> have a missing /dev/mouse.  May I just patch that in by a vi edit?  I
> remember the config had about five questions, but I can't remember the
> order or the exact specifics.  location, type mman , protocol?  repeat?
> and something else.  I have a three button MouseMan Logitech.
>
> Also, on the initial install configuration it as if I wanted a Parent
> Proxy.  It mentioned that such a proxy speeded things up.  What is that?
> Speed things up in what manner?
>
> eof

I do not know anything about debian, but /dev/mouse is never a real
device special file...it is a symbolic link only. You must link it to
either the serial port or psaux device special file. If your mouse goes
to the ps/2 port, then /dev/mouse should be linked to /dev/psaux; try
naming /dev/psaux directly if it is a ps/2 mouse on a ps/2 port. If it
is on a serial port, you will have to name the /dev/ttySwhatever of the
port you need. If /dev/mouse does not exist, or points to the wrong
port, you are guaranteed failure (and possibly lockup). Do you know that
/dev/mouse really does point to the proper port?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com