[lug] Picture manipulation

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Jun 25 21:54:22 MDT 2001

Thus spoke Terry Branaman
> I have about 500 pictures that I took using a digital camera that I want to
> put on a web site. Because the files are so large (it is a 3.1 mega pixel
> camera), I want to mung the pictures first -- I want to create a thumbnail
> sized file, and I want to create a copy with a higher compression rate
> (these are jpeg images). Is there a tool that will do this, preferably in
> some sort of batch mode (either within the tool, or in a script file)?

I wrote a simple script for generating thumbnail galleries that might be
useful as a starting point for what you're after.  It's included with my
new book "Essential GIMP for Web Professionals."  You can download the
source (Perl script for GIMP) from the companion web site:

http://www.phptr.com/essential/gimp/section4.html

It probably needs tweaking for dealing with compression ratios, but you get
an idea of how to do that if you read the script (or even better, buy the
book :-)

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |      Kinky is using a feather,