[lug] various ???s

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Tue Jun 26 02:21:35 MDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:44:06PM -0500, Faster-Laster wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 02:21:21PM -0600, Paul McKelvey wrote:
> > I was brought up as a Macintosh man, so don't know much about PC
> > hardware...  Could y'all check these specs below and see if this would
> > be a good linux box or not?  any suggestions would be greatly
> > appreciated!!!
> Just in case you have an i-mac or g(something) laying around. there are
> several distros that support mac hardware. In fact a few months ago at
> our local lug meeting we got to see an old LC2 with netbsd installed and
> running on it. Of course if you are looking for a modern computer for
> cheaper the x86 line will be much easier on the wallet.

Yup, G4 make _really_ cool Linux boxes ;-) I just find them anoyingly loud.
Also, with xfree4 ported to OSX you can use your brand new G4 as a fancy
xterminal :-)
BTW, i did install debian on anold LC II last week. One can't boot directly
into Linux and has to start it from the Mac OS, but once the system is up
they make fine (but rather slow) boxes.

 Ralf