[lug] Postscript file orgin

David dajo at frii.com
Wed Jun 27 18:22:07 MDT 2001

I have a postscript file of european origin.   Ghostview displays this
file well if I select A4 page size; it chops off the header if I
select letter page size.  Ok so far.

I want to print the file on an HP LaserJet IIP plus.  I use either
ghostview or lpr to send the job to the printer, they both give the
same effect (ghostview uses lpr, so that is no surprise).  The printer
chops off the header and the top line of text.  How do I stop that?

I do not have a manual for the printer.

I have tried programming the printer to A4, it makes no difference.  I
do not have an A4 paper tray, so the tray always is letter.  I do not
know if the printer is smart enough to read the tray so that the
programming is ignored.

I cannot find any command line options for lpr that move the page
origin; are there any?

Also, I should like to reverse the printing order, this will enable me
to fake a duplex printer (the subject is a book with over 300 pages).
I cannot see how to do this with ghostview, are there any other
postscript displayers with that capability?

Suggestions will be appreciated.

David Outteridge