[lug] Re: Scp Config

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 28 15:57:03 MDT 2001

This would be the easiest method.  The potential problem with this approach is that it will also disable console logins.  If that's not a problem, this may work for you.  I don't think scp will require a valid shell, but I could be wrong.  Otherwise, I think you should be able to identify remote logins using the /etc/profile method.

Gary Frerking wrote:

> Along the lines of what John mentioned, I've seen interactive logins
> disabled for specific accounts by not having a shell assigned to the
> account at all (or assigning some sort of null shell or something to the
> account -- like '/bin/false'?).
>
> I've seen this sort of technique used more than once on more than one
> flavor of *nix. I seem to recall the details varied a bit depending on
> the *nix.
>
> I don't have the details of how to do it handy, it's just a faint memory
> -- sorry.
>
> Hopefully this will give you enough of a pointer (or trigger someone
> else's memory).
>
> -- Gary

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |