[lug] Is this a linux issue? no download in browser

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Mon Jul 2 09:39:23 MDT 2001

Rob> Either using Chimera or Mozilla whilst I am at the opera site,
Rob> trying to download Opera for Linux, debian distro, when I hit the
Rob> download button, the browser goes blank, crashes.  Both do so.

Rob> This is a 486, 20 meg ram, 56 dial up.

it might be that this is simply too under-powered, especially for
mozilla.  you can try using 'wget', a console-based http file
grabber.  (use right-click + "copy link location" perhaps, or just see
what it's trying to download ... i hate the fact that many sites have
gone to using javascript buttons when they're completely unnecessary.
alas.)

Rob> The other venue is setting up ssh on my setup.  I have it, it
Rob> just a mess of files, and on first inspection, the install config
Rob> did not seem clear to me.  I looked at PuTTY, but is did not look
Rob> to have a version for X.  True?  eof

putty is an ssh client + terminal emulator.  in X, those programs are
separate: run a terminal emulator first (i like rxvt, you can use
xterm or eterm or whatever you prefer), then run ssh (the client)
inside that window.  the ssh client is itself pretty easy to setup, i
thought.

t.