[lug] Adobe GPL attack in Germany

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Jul 5 10:32:54 MDT 2001

Thus spoke John Hernandez
> $2k?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't attorneys normally bill their clients for services?  In this case, I'm sure Adobe would spring a measly $2k to sucessfully defend their trademark without further litigation costs.  If a trial judge were to get ahold of this, I'd bet the initial offer to rename the program would be deemed sufficient, and Adobe would be ordered to pay the legal fees for both parties.

After commenting on this on my Desktop page in LWN.net this week I got word
from some German readers that lawyers in Germany can file suit on behalf of
a company without the company asking them to do so.  The legitimacy of this
suit, therefore, is in serious question.  Apparently Adobe can't respond just
yet - their company is said to have taken the week off for the US 4th of July
holiday.

--
Michael J. Hammel           | It isn't pollution that's harming the environment.
The Graphics Muse           | It's the impurities in our air and water that are