[lug] Microsoft outlaws open source with .NET

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jul 8 11:47:39 MDT 2001

"Trever C. Trader" wrote:

> I think that y'all are getting way too carried away with this
> subject.  What does Bill Gates and Microsoft have to do with linux?  What
> programs are they writing for Linux?

Probably because the new .NET strategy from Microsoft includes a license
banning Linux. Think of it as a new interoperability bug/virus. The
original post mentions this URL as a citation:
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2781638,00.html

While the subject is about a comparison of the GNU license with a virus,
embedding itself in other code that uses it, MS has specifically named
Linux, as a viral form of code, in a way might make it legally
acceptable to brand Linux as viral (not just the GNU license, as MS has
written it). Or so I interpret it.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com