[lug] mail command sytax per subject

Rob Mohr robmohr at earthnet.net
Mon Jul 9 13:32:23 MDT 2001

Hello,

After reading the man pages, no luck.  And my unix book has it, but it
does not work.

What I am trying to do.

mail -s "Sending foo.txt file" marv at foobar.com < foo.txt

This sends the file ok, but I don't get a subject header. And this is the
syntax given in my unix book.

mail marv at foobar.com
Subject:Sending foo.txt
Manually type in foo.txt file here
.

The above works to the extent that it appends the Subject header, and it
picks up the body of the text.

I am just being a bit fussy in that I want the subject header to picked up
with the redirection of the foo.txt file

Why am I doing this?   I have a requirement from GE Corp  "Don't send any
attachments.  Append files together.  (Use MS)"  My mail program is pine.
I am trying to concatenate  the files and then send onto GE just from
the % prompt using mail utility; bypassing pine.

As a workaround, I will put
Subject:  My cat'd files to GE corp are in the body of this email

as the first line to the transmittal letter file.

Thanks LUG
eof