[lug] newbie question - rc.sysinit

Anne George ageorge at goldsys.com
Wed Jul 11 15:48:37 MDT 2001

Hi,

I've gotten two emails in the last two months stating that my machine was
used to run a port scan.
I've been searching logs, but find FTP Connection Refused message, and I've
also looked for the Lion & Raman viruses.
I've also check for cron jobs (weekly, monthly, etc).
My inetd.conf has ftp enabled, everything else is commented out.
I start sshd from rc.local.
Below is a list of daemon that are running.

Today I noticed that my rc.sysinit was dated July 5, 2001, and the email I
just got said my machine ran a port scan on July 4, 2001.

Does the date of the rc.sysinit script change?
Is it possible that someone is spoofing my address?

Any ideas how I can track this down?

Thanks!!!

Anne

rond       Automatic Running x              x
                                  x               xdhcpd       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xfirewall    Enabled
x              x
                                  x               xgated       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xgpm         Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xhttpd       Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xidentd      Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xinet        Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xinnd        Manual
x              x
                                  x               xipchains    Manual
x              x
                                  x               xirda        Manual
x              x
                                  x               xisdn        Automatic
x              x
                                  x               xkdcrotate   Manual
x              x
                                  x               xkeytable    Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xkrb5server  Manual
x              x
                                  x               xkudzu       Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xldap        Manual
x              x
                                  x               xlinuxconf   Automatic
x              x
                                  x               xlpd         Automatic
x              x
                                  x               xmars-nwe    Manual
x              x
                                  x               xmcserv      Manual
x              x
                                  x               xnamed       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xnetfs       Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xnetwork     Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xnfs         Manual
x              x
                                  x               xnfslock     Automatic
x              x
                                  x               xnscd        Manual
x              x
                                  x               xpcmcia      Automatic
x              x
                                  x               xphhttpd     Manual
x              x
                                  x               xportmap     Automatic
x              x
                                  x               xpostgresql  Manual
x              x
                                  x               xpulse       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xpvmd        Manual
x              x
                                  x               xpxe         Manual
x              x
                                  x               xrandom      Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xreconfig    Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xrouted      Manual
x              x
                                  x               xrstatd      Manual
x              x
                                  x               xrusersd     Manual
x              x
                                  x               xrwalld      Manual
x              x
                                  x               xrwhod       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xsendmail    Manual
x              x
                                  x               xserial      Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xsmb         Manual
x              x
                                  x               xsnmpd       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xsquid       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xsshd        Automatic
x              x
                                  x               xsyslog      Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xxfs         Automatic
Running x              x
                                  x               xxntpd       Manual
x              x
                                  x               xypbind      Manual
x              x
                                  x               xyppasswdd   Manual
x              x
                                  x               xypserv      Manual
x              x
                                  x               mqqqqq

phone:              (303) 447-2774  speak "Anne George"
email:                ageorge at goldsys.com
Gold Systems does Speech Recognition ... just speak the first and last name
of the person you are trying to reach
People of Altitude - www.stvrainwatchdogs.org
"You did then what you knew how to do.  When you knew better you did
better."   - Maya Angeleou