[lug] Apache "AllowOverride" troubles

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Wed Jul 11 17:35:17 MDT 2001

I'm having problems with the "AllowOverride" function with my Apache
webserver. What I want it to be able to do is allow directory listing
functionality if it is specified in the .htaccess file, but not
globally in the document root. My doc root section looks like this:

<Directory "/home/httpd">
    Options Includes FollowSymLinks MultiViews IncludesNOEXEC
    AllowOverride Indexes Limit AuthConfig FileInfo
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

The apache documentation says in order to be able to override the
directory listing feature you need to use the directive-type "Indexes"
with the AllowOverride directive (which I have). My .htaccess has been
placed in the directory where I want my directory listing to start but
has yet to work. I've tried many different variations in my .htaccess
such as:

FancyIndexing On
FancyIndexing
Indexes FancyIndexing
Indexes FancyIndexing On
IndexOptions FancyIndexing
IndexOptions FancyIndexing On

None of these have seemed to work. I'm not quite sure what is going on.
I know directory listing works because I've put the "Indexes" directive
type in the Options section of my doc root configuration and it works
fine. But that makes it work for the entire site, which I don't want :/
Anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what I could try next? TIA.

Justin

-----
glow at jackmoves.com
www.jackmoves.com