[lug] RH, syslinux, iso config

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri Jul 13 01:07:44 MDT 2001

I had asked at the meeting about the proper location of boot images for
syslinux (actually, isolinux, since it is the CD version, rather than
floppy). One suggestion was to simply look at RH's cd 1, which I now
have mounted. Actually it is the cheap bytes version, but what the heck.

I can't find anything like the required isolinux.cfg (or anything *.cfg
or *.CFG). It is obvious that the boot.img is in the images/
subdirectory, but then I notice there is also a
dosutils/autoboot/cdboot.img. Is the autoboot version the original boot
image, while the images/ subdirectory contains selectable images once
the initial boot is up?

My current mkisofs is set up something like this for directories (done
as root for various reasons):

My image is created with various utilities on loopback, then copied to
/root/iso/input/1/

This contains the following structure (edited for brevity):
.
|-- bin
|-- dev
|-- etc
|-- isolinux
|-- lib
|   |-- i686
|   |-- modules
|   `-- security
|-- mnt
|   |-- cdrom
|   |-- floppy
|-- proc
|-- root
|-- sbin
|-- tmp
|-- usr
|   |-- bin
|   |-- lib
`-- var
    |-- log

Within the isolinux subdirectory are isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg.
Currently isolinux.cfg has:
LABEL 2.4.6-p1-xfs-4
  KERNEL vmlinuz-2.4.6-pre1-xfs-4
  APPEND noapic ramdisk_size=25000 vga=ask
DEFAULT 2.4.6-p1-xfs-4
TIMEOUT 150

This boots up till the point where it must find the kernel, which always
fails. I have tried placing vmlinuz-2.4.6-pre1-xfs-4 in the root of the
CD, as well as in the isolinux subdirectory (this latter is what
syslinux.cfg is described as requiring, and I must assume this is the
same as isolinux.cfg...asking this question caused a lot of grief on the
syslinux list, I never got a good answer).

My script for mkisofs is like this:
/usr/bin/mkisofs \
   -iso-level 2 \
   -o /root/iso/rescue-4.iso \
   -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
   -c isolinux/boot.cat \
   -no-emul-boot \
   -boot-load-size 4 \
   -boot-info-table \
   /root/iso/input/1

Considering that no matter where I place the image, it can't be found,
but also considering that it looks for the right image name, I have to
wonder if I have maybe jumped through necessary hoops, but not enough of
them. And the RH cd does not have the isolinux directory, nor a syslinux
directory, and nothing named *.cfg or *.CFG, so what am I missing? Clues
or suggestions? Do the KRUD people have an isolinux.cfg I can borrow? Or
maybe my scheme of directories is wrong:
cd root--/isolinux/
       |-....

Testing variations is painfully slow, it involves uploading on a 56k
modem, then downloading on a 33.6k modem to get to the cd burner.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com