[lug] finger

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 13 13:05:53 MDT 2001

David wrote:

> I tried to use finger and it did not work, I could not even finger
> myself: (I do not have a ~/.nofinger file)

You might want to consider some physical therapy. :)

> Blackhand dajo ~ finger dajo at localhost
> [localhost]
> finger: connect: Connection refused
> Blackhand dajo ~
>
> I guess that finger is a security problem and is disabled for that
> reason.  But I thought a posting would be worthwhile: why does finger
> not work, how do I make it work, etc.
>
> Originally, I "just" wanted to confirm a username on a remote
> machine.  How do I do that, please?

In all seriousness, if you enable finger, do yourself a favor and tcpwrap the service to allow only your workstation to access the finger server.

Uncomment fingerd in /etc/inetd.conf (or edit /etc/xinetd.d/finger and set disable=no) and restart (kill -HUP) inetd.  Add an ACL entry to /etc/hosts.allow to limit access, and test it.

> dajo

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |