[lug] finger

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Jul 13 22:11:35 MDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:02:48AM -0600, David wrote:
>Blackhand dajo ~ finger dajo at localhost
>[localhost]
>finger: connect: Connection refused
>Blackhand dajo ~

You don't have a finger daemon running.  As mentioned in other replies,
drop the @localhost to finger local users.

>Originally, I "just" wanted to confirm a username on a remote
>machine.  How do I do that, please?

Log in to that machine, preferably using some secure service like SSH.
Once you've authenticated, then use finger locally.  Allowing
un-authenticated remote users the ability to find out local user
information is a security issue.

Sean
--
 Give me immortality or give me death!