[lug] Reading material (was: Steganography, etc. etc.)

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Mon Jul 16 03:30:16 MDT 2001

Sorry. I got about halfway through this before deciding that we should
save your wrists and others' mailboxes with idle and misinformed
conjecture about the nature of the boot process and minute details of
CPU/Memory interaction, and should read a little about hardware before
continuing with the debate.  Might I suggest:

Linux Kernel Internals:
   http://www.moses.uklinux.net/patches/lki.html

The Operating Resource Center:
   http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/os/articles

The Art of Assembly Language Programming
   http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_asm/ArtofAssembly/ArtofAsm.html

Computer Architecture Page
   http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~arch/www/online.html

You should pay particular attention to how multitasking, permissions,
threads, locking, and I/O are implemented and the specific hardware
support, because the hardware support that enables these features is
extremely subtle and shows the minimalist design goals of hardware
designers.

Chris Riddoch         |  epistemological  | Send spam to: uce at ftc.gov
socket at peakpeak.com   |  humility         |