[lug] world writable files

Thomas R. Detman tdet at sec.noaa.gov
Mon Jul 16 18:06:16 MDT 2001

Oops! While I was attempting to clean up my act, security wise,
I think I got over zealous.  Used the command suggested in the
Linux Security HOWTO (by Kevin Fenzi) to find all the world
writable files on my system: find / -perm -2 ! -type l -ls
(How embarassing, I couldn't believe whatall I had open.)
While in the process of slowly, cautiously, incrementally removing
world write permission from places that obviously shouldn't have it
somehow my fingers must have slipped.....  Now I've been slowly,
incrementally restoring world write permissions to places that did
need it.  My questions are: 1. Is there a simple way to re-establish
the correct configuration for directory & file permissions? or 2. Is
the correct configuration documented somewhere?

In particular: /dev/*, /var/*, $HOME/{.enlightenment,.sawfish,.gnome,.kde,?}
(I'm at RH7.0 + upgrades)