[lug] world writable files

Chris Riddoch socket at peakpeak.com
Mon Jul 16 18:46:47 MDT 2001

"Thomas R. Detman" <tdet at sec.noaa.gov> writes:

> Oops! While I was attempting to clean up my act, security wise,
> I think I got over zealous.  Used the command suggested in the
> Linux Security HOWTO (by Kevin Fenzi) to find all the world
> writable files on my system: find / -perm -2 ! -type l -ls
> (How embarassing, I couldn't believe whatall I had open.)
> While in the process of slowly, cautiously, incrementally removing
> world write permission from places that obviously shouldn't have it
> somehow my fingers must have slipped.....  Now I've been slowly,
> incrementally restoring world write permissions to places that did
> need it.  My questions are: 1. Is there a simple way to re-establish
> the correct configuration for directory & file permissions? or 2. Is
> the correct configuration documented somewhere?
>
> In particular: /dev/*, /var/*, $HOME/{.enlightenment,.sawfish,.gnome,.kde,?}
> (I'm at RH7.0 + upgrades)

Hmmm. Easiest thing to do might be for someone with a similar setup,
RH7.0 + upgrades, and a similar list of packages, to send you an email
with the results of that find command.  That way, you would have a
list to work with, made from a machine with a similar setup.

Chris Riddoch         |  epistemological  | Send spam to: uce at ftc.gov
socket at peakpeak.com   |  humility         |