[lug] local network

David dajo at frii.com
Sat Jul 21 14:21:26 MDT 2001

   scp is the best way, someone mentioned that. It does, however, require
   sshd be running. If you are in a secure environment, where passwords
   going across the net can't be snooped, try ftp. "man ftp". To find the
   ip, have root do "ifconfig" (you need to know which network device is
   used, probably eth0). You are interested in the "inet addr". Beware that
   it is a bad idea to send passwords over the open Internet. If it is your
   own private net, there isn't a lot to worry about.

Dan, Literally all I want to do is copy a bunch of files from one
machine to another; the alternative is to transfer the disc itself to
the other machine - and I may do that really soon!

I cannot get either machine to recognise the other.  One is running
KRUD/RH7.0, which thereby may have some security protections enabled
that are getting in the way; the other machine is running RH6.2.  I
have the following /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts files, but I
am missing something.  Is it a file such as a .hosts file, or is it
some procedural thing?

Currently I am connected to my ISP and so ifconfig gives me the
dynamic ip that the isp gave me, this is on the RH6.2 machine.  I
cannot ping nor ftp from the KRUD machine using this address.  I get a
"connect: Network is unreachable" message in each case.  I feel that
this is a clue to what is wrong, although the actual task I want to
carry out I should do offline using bogus ips.  One question is what
bogus ips should I use; I seem to recall that there is a set of
numbers reserved for local use.  Currently I am using 123.456.666.1
and 2; ping gives me "unknown host"  with each number on each machine.

The physical connection is a machine-to-machine network cable plugged
in to the network cards.  What should I have running so that the
network is recognised?

sshd is running on the KRUD machine, not on the other; but security is
not what I am concerned about.

RH6.2
*****
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:216.17.156.114  P-t-P:216.17.156.229  Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain           localhost
127.0.0.1       Bluebeard.Anthrax               Bluebeard  # on the net
#123.456.666.2   Bluebeard.Anthrax               Bluebeard  # bogus local

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=Bluebeard.Anthrax
DOMAINNAME=Anthrax

KRUD
****
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain           localhost
123.456.666.1   RedNose.Anthrax                 RedNose

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=RedNose.Anthrax
DOMAINNAME=Anthrax