[lug] local network

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jul 21 14:55:25 MDT 2001

David wrote:

> I have network cards and modems in both machines.  I am using the
> modem in RH6.2 to talk to you, the other modem is not in use.  The
> connection between the machines is a cable plugged into each network
> card.  I noticed the absence of eth0 too, but I was not sure if that
> matters.  Apparently, from what you write about lo, it does matter.
> Does this mean that the hardware is not recognised, or does it mean
> that I must start a daemon?  How do I do that, and where is it done
> automagically?

It means the hardware is, for all practical purposes, not even plugged
into the motherboard. First, you need to know that your kernel has the
driver for the particular card. What is the card (anything about it you
know)? Is this an ISA slot card, or PCI? If ISA, is it plug-n-play, or
jumper set? Do you have your bios set to "o/s is not plug-n-play aware"?
FYI, "NOT plug-n-play aware" is the good setting.

If it is pci, do you see any paragraphs in /proc/pci that might look
like network device, but is not a modem?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com