[lug] Linux laptop projector woes

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Tue Jul 24 08:52:52 MDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Glenn Murray wrote:

> It is not a ThinkPad and I really would like a
> manufacturer-independent solution.

Yes ... OK, however laptops tend to use a lot of unique hardware and can
be somewhat finicky beasts.  Often the fix for one may be a bit different
than the fix for another.  Since we are trying to troubleshoot your
problem without the benefit of being able to tinker with the hardware or
see exactly what the failure is that you are describing, you kind of need
to be able to provide some really basic info such as what kind of machine
you are using.  We may be able to give you a manufacturer-independent
solution, but the make of the machine might provide us with the clues
needed to make the diagnosis.  A couple guys have tried to help by
offering you some ideas, but they are having to guess at your hardware
type.  Why not simply tell them?

My guess at what is going on here is that you are trying to drive the
projector with a video mode that is not supported by the projector.
After all, it does sound like you are able to switch between the laptop's
display and the projector.  Especially since it sounds like you were able
to do this on your local setup.  What video mode are you using ( 1024 X
768, 24 bit color for example)?  You don't happen to know what the
projector was that you had trouble with do you?

It is too bad that you didn't try switching to a console mode just to see
if the video signal was being recognized by the projector.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)