[lug] latex texinfo.tex

David dajo at frii.com
Wed Jul 25 11:42:24 MDT 2001

   I am trying to follow a direction in the HOWTO.

   latex texinfo.tex <enter>

   Latex2c patch level 1
   Babel
   !undefined control sequence
   \resetmahfont
   1.1225 \ texfonts
   ?_  (This is where it stops, the above being trucated screen dump.

I have not looked in the HOWTO, but this is correct behaviour.  This
is not how to use texinfo.tex.

   So I take a control-c <enter>
x <RET> is the way to exit from the prompt ?.

   No pages of output
   Transcript written on textifo.log

   Is the "?_" a latext prompt?  Will --help work in this situation?

   My whole exercise here is to pull up and print TeTeX/LaTeX manual, ect.
This does not require texinfo; something is wrong.  Either you want to compile
a LaTeX file, or you want to compile a Texinfo file, which is it?

To compile a LaTeX file use the shell command
latex filename

To compile a texinfo file read the texinfo info; here is a key node telling
you how to use texinfo.tex

File: texinfo,  Node: Requirements Summary,  Next: Preparing for TeX,  Prev: Compile-Command,  Up: Hardcopy

TeX Formatting Requirements Summary
===================================

  Every Texinfo file that is to be input to TeX must begin with a
`\input' command and must contain an `@setfilename' command:

     \input texinfo
     @setfilename ARG-NOT-USED-BY-TEX

The first command instructs TeX to load the macros it needs to process
a Texinfo file and the second command opens auxiliary files.

  Every Texinfo file must end with a line that terminates TeX's
processing and forces out unfinished pages:

     @bye

  Strictly speaking, these lines are all a Texinfo file needs to be
processed successfully by TeX.

  Usually, however, the beginning includes an `@settitle' command to
define the title of the printed manual, an `@setchapternewpage'
command, a title page, a copyright page, and permissions.  Besides an
`@bye', the end of a file usually includes indices and a table of
contents.  (And of course most manuals contain a body of text as well.)

  For more information, see:
   * *Note `@settitle': settitle

   * *Note `@setchapternewpage': setchapternewpage

   * *Note Page Headings: Headings

   * *Note Titlepage & Copyright Page::

   * *Note Printing Indices & Menus::

   * *Note Contents::

   (And I want to avoid emacs, if possible, as I am ok with vi.)
Sorry to hear that.  But then I am an Emacs bigot.

If you have other questions feel free to ask.

dajo