[lug] RH 7.1

Mark Horning rip6 at rip6.net
Sun Jul 29 12:27:12 MDT 2001

Chad Wasinger wrote:

> I installed RH 7.1 on a compaq presario 3550, during the install xwindows
> ran fine and I got the GUI walk through of the install. After install it
> boots to Linux and comes up to Linux Login:(not xwindows) but my video
> flashes on and off 5 to 10 times and it will not take keyboard inputs during
> the flashes, then it stops and I can type for about 5-10 seconds then it
> starts to flash again.
> I also got logged in in between the flashing and ran startx but it fails to
> start.
>
> Anyone have any idea? Video problem, I have a ATI rage 128 card, I can't
> seem to get to a mode where it would be easy to switch drivers.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advise!

Edit your /etc/inittab file, the line in question is:
id:5:initdefault:
You're booting to runlevel 5 which launches xdm (see the bottom line
of the inittab) and your video has a problem so xdm won't launch.

When you get control of the terminal you can either go to single
user mode (i.e: type init 1 and enter) or you can edit the inittab
file to boot to runlevel 3 (i.e.: id:3:initdefault) and execute
init q which will basically reinitialize the init process and you
can then troubleshoot your video problem.

Good Luck,
Mark

--

Mark Horning