[lug] Maps and DLGs and stuff.

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Sun Jul 29 18:36:35 MDT 2001

Hello all again.

Anyone know of a good OS Web-based MapServer? I've been chopping them up with PHP and the toll on the server is really bad. An 11 meg map cut into a 400x400 square crashes everything. I'm trying this with 64 megs but will be up'ing that to 192 this week.

I was also considering the possibility of parsing DLGs using PHP but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the curve. I just started my cartographic quest a few weeks ago. Has anyone here tried pulling DLG data from a DB and parsing it into a GIF in web-time?

I've checked out freegis.org and a few of the leads in the BLUG archives. MapServer was really the only hit that I could find.

Thanks a lot,

John