[lug] Beginner Question

Holshouser, David dholshou at ball.com
Fri Aug 3 11:30:21 MDT 2001

When you refer to telnet/ftp not working on a workstation install.
Are you saying that you cannot telnet *OUT* to another machine, or that you
get a connection refused or some such when trying to telnet *TO* the newly
installed box.

If you are talking about the latter (telnet/ftp TO the box), you are not
talking about telnet/ftp, instead you are talking about the servers/daemons
(telnetd/ftpd) that will be receiving these connections.

A workstation should not be running any servers and thus they (telnetd/ftpd)
aren't installed.