[lug] Cisco 675 vs 678 question

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Aug 10 12:54:59 MDT 2001

Dave,

Qwest used to use a form of DSL encoding called 'CAP'.  Well, U S WEST, which
Qwest bought, was a relatively early adopter of DSL.  There were competing
standards for how to encode the DSL signal on the copper wire: CAP and DMT.
As it turns out, DMT became the industry standard, not CAP.  About 4 months
ago or so, Qwest decided it wanted to switch to the industry standard of
DMT.  Also, it wanted to move DSL order from a 'Designed' order status, to
a 'Pots' order status.  The difference is not important to you, really, but
it changed some things.  The main problem is that there are bugs, sometimes,
in the new order processing software, and sometimes it does weird things.
But that is another story.

So, the only difference between the 675 and 678, that I know of, is the
way they expect to decode the DSL signal on the copper wire.  Your old modem
would not speak the new protocol.  Anyone currently working on a 675 is
'grandfathered.'  Qwest will not change your service to DMT on their own
inititiave, but any activity you initiate will cause your line to be switched
from CAP (Cisco 675) to DMT (Cisco 678).  It is sort of a pain, but something
that has to be done.

Now, when the Qwest sales rep told you it was no problem to switch your lines,
that was blatantly untrue.  Swapping facilities, when one has DSL, is a royal
pain in the rear with the systems Qwest uses to keep track of equipment.
Furthermore, the Sales Reps have no idea what it entails, and rarely right the
orders correctly.  It is a very dicey proposition, swapping facs.  Even more
so when DSL is involved.  Sorry yours got fouled up.

In the long run, DMT is a better protocol, I understand.  It does not seem
right at all, though, that they are charging your for the 678. I would think
that should be free to you.

Hope that helps,

Tim