[lug] M$ does it again...down under

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Aug 11 19:01:52 MDT 2001

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Zichary O`Tea said:

> Caldera OpenDOS, really isn't "open" in any sense of the word, which is
> why they renamed it DR-DOS, long ago.  If you're looking for a truly free
> operating system MS-DOS compatiable OS, you should check out FreeDOS --
> www.freedos.org.

I think you should look a little closer.  I understand that they released
the source for the bulk of it, save Stacker and perhaps the Personal
Netware, which is why they renamed it OpenDOS, but I admit that I haven't
really looked too closely other than DL'ing the binary distro.  I'm a bit
fuzzy on the details.

It's been about 18 months since I looked at freedos, but when I did, there
was little that would run under it.

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net