[lug] Xfree86 4.x and Debian?

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Mon Aug 13 11:17:25 MDT 2001

I have a system dual booting Linux/Windows, and I would like to add a
nVidia GeForce card for the purpose of playing games (The sole purpose
of the Windows install).

Unfortunately, the nVidia GeForce II MX chipset is not supported by
Xfree86 3.3.x, the default version used by Debian.  I understand that
Xfree86 4.1 does support this chipset.

So my question:

What experiences have the group had with Xfree86 4.1 and Linux?  And
Debian?  Anyone use a GeForce card under Linux/X?  How is stability
running the latest and greatest (4.1.0) Xfree86?

Thanks for any comments.

David