[lug] Emacs problem

Steve T. maxl at squeep.com
Thu Aug 16 17:15:51 MDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 05:00:35PM -0600, Tkil wrote:

> Steve> I've been having a bit of a problem with Xemacs lately.  It
> Steve> revolves, oddly enough, around one of the default keybindings,
> Steve> which simply refuses to work - the keybinding in question is
> Steve> meta->, which should run end-of-buffer, yet it steadfastily
> Steve> refuses to.  In an attempt to remedy that, I added the
> Steve> following to my .emacs:
>
> Steve> (define-key global-map '(meta >) 'end-of-buffer)
>
> Steve> Yet alas, that did not help either (although Xemacs interprets
> Steve> it just fine).  Anybody have any idea what's going on here?
>
> after you try to press that key sequence (and it fails/succeeds), do
> M-x view-lossage.  this will show you what keystrokes xemacs actually
> saw.  a common problem is window managers eating certain key events
> before they even get to XEmacs.

Interestingly enough, XEmacs never gets the keystrokes - which is doubly
odd, because I happen to be running it in console.  Any idea how to tell
what's intercepting the keystroke and fix it?

> also, you can do M-x view-bindings to see what's actually attached to
> M->.

For some odd reason, my version of XEmacs (21.4.14) doesn't seem to have this.

---

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." - Frank Zappa
"If one studies too zealously, he risks losing his pants." - Einstein