[lug] RedHat 7.1 installation

Warren Sanders sanders at MontanaLinux.Org
Tue Aug 21 12:37:00 MDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Arlan Ramsay wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:17:36 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Arlan Ramsay <ramsay at euclid.Colorado.EDU>
> To: Boulder Linux Users Group <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
> Subject: [lug] RedHat 7.1 installation
>

> I wanted to install it in order to get an easy firewall.  The
> installation seemed to go smoothly.  That program had no problems
> with its graphics displays.  I was going to use Gnome.  I have
> tried a text login and then run startx, and also a graphics login.
> Both ways give me one screen with a small terminal window, no pager.
> I don't know what window manager it is, but evidently not sawfish
> or fvwmx, twm, or any others I recognize.
>
> The second (or third) time I installed it, I was careful to specify
> the exact video card (Diamond Stealth 3D 2000) and monitor (Viewsonic
> A70).  These were working just fine under the RH6.0 or 6.2 that I had
> before.
>
> It seems unlikely but possible that my video card has a flaw.  What
> else?  All advice gratefully recieved.  This is on my home machine.
>
> Arlan Ramsay

> Arlan Ramsay
> Department of Mathematics
> 395 UCB
> University of Colorado, Boulder
> Telephone 303-492-7148
> Fax 303-492-7707
> ramsay at euclid.colorado.edu

After installing, I had tried out different Window Managers.  There was
one that simply did nothing and showed nothing.  Seems it was Sawfish~

Anyway it may have been the set default window manager possibly?
Check the archives from past couple weeks; there was a console command to
set the default wm

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org