[lug] RH7.1 and remote display of X apps

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Thu Aug 23 00:28:38 MDT 2001

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael J Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> writes:

Michael> mjhammel(tty4)$ xauth add kepler.graphics-muse.org/unix:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 2a57190fe60f089d6598ae638471d0b7

adding the unix socket won't help any.  :)  you need to add it as
"kepler.graphics-muse.org:0" and set your display to the exact same
thing.

(sorry for the "grep $DISPLAY" stupidity, i couldn't think of a better
way to do it....)

i usually just look for "foo.bar.org:0" and cut-n-paste that line.

Michael> The TCP connection is being rejected by the server for some
Michael> reason.  I can't figure out why.

i'm beginning to wonder if your X server is configured to listen to
TCP at all -- if it's using just unix domain sockets, i'm not sure
that sshd is clever enough to redirect that, and it would obviously
explain why xhost/xauth isn't giving you any joy either.

Michael> There is something funky about this X server configuration,
Michael> but I'm not sure where to look next.

see above.  it wouldn't surprise me if the TCP listening socket was
turned off by default....

t.