[lug] RH7.1 and remote display of X apps

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Aug 23 01:09:10 MDT 2001

I'm not using RedHat, but in Debian they consider remote X uneeded and
dangerous, so it is disabled by default.  Check out how your X server is
being started -- the abitlity to listen for TCP connects can be
completely disabled when your server is started, either by startx or xdm.
This is the same kind of problem I get in a fresh Debian install.

On my Debian box, for startx, there is a file called:
	/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc

It containted the following line:
	exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

The -nolisten tcp had to be removed if remote X was wanted.

There is something similar for XDM, but I can't remember the name of the
file right now, and I don't currenlty have XDM installed.

Sorry, I don't know where Redhat keeps these file, but is has got to
have them.  Maybe somebody else can chime in.

HTH

Tim