[lug] TAR Archiving

Kristopher Applegate krisapplegate at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 15:02:33 MDT 2001

I am looking for a way to tar an entire directory
structure of about 20GB into a series of <=2GB files.
The box is a RedHat 7.1 box and I am transferring the
archives to a older NAS unit based off of an old Linux
that has the 2GB ext2 file size limit. I read the man
for tar and found it was lacking what I needed. I was
planning on using tar but if you guys have any better
suggestions, I am not opposed to that. I would also
prefer not to have to split the archive post-compress
and tie up a large amount of disk space in the
process. Any help would be appreciated.

-Kristopher Applegate