[lug] DSL Technical ?'s

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy at mlug.missouri.edu
Fri Aug 31 08:50:51 MDT 2001

Hi all,

Some background info:

I have a few ?'s for the sage's of DSL.  As of recently I
had a Rhythms 192kbps SDSL line to my home.  Since Rhythms
has basically gone belly-up my ISP (Megapath) is going
the motions to switch me over to Covad.  But it seems that
Covad is unable to provide SDSL service to me and they
are installing an IDSL line.

I called Qwest and they say they are unable to provide me
DSL service at all.  But according to their documetation
http://www.qwest.com/disclosures/netdisclosure459/co_data.html
my CO (BLDRCOMA) has RADSL equip installed.

I've checked the distances, estimates vary from 15500' to
16500' and both fall well within the range of Qwest's
maximum for ADSL (17500').

So now for my questions:

1. Why can't Qwest provide any DSL service? Is it because (a)
   They don't provide SDSL service at all and don't have the
   equipment at the CO? or (b) bridges/tap/etc on my line
   to prevent ADSL from working?

   Part of this question is why cannot Qwest just use the
   existing copper pair that is in place for my SDSL and
   treat it as a phone line to run ADSL over?  Both types
   can run over the same line configuration right? I mean
   I basically have an additional phone line at my house
   when they installed the SDSL circuit right?  It just
   happens to plug into Rhythms' DSLAM instead of Qwest's.

   An additional interesting note on this one is I was
   originally with Jato last fall (which also went out of
   business) and from what they said, my SDSL circuit was
   actually installed by Qwest.

2. Why can't Covad provide SDSL service to me.  They do
   provide SDSL service.  Is it because they just don't
   take SDSL service to 16000'?  And if that is the case
   What is the technical reason why?  If Rhythms was able
   to provide a satisfactory SDSL service to 16000' why
   is Covad unable to?  They are both in the same CO right?

3. I know there are several ISP's who are on this list and
   I would like to know if any of them would be willing to
   try an experiment.  Basically the Homebrew SDSL option
   talked about at http://www.odessaoffice.com/sdsl.htm

I've tried getting these answers (1 and 2) from a few other
sources but with no avail.  I really appreciate the level
of information available on this list and I hope you guys
can help me out.

Thanks,

-jeremy

Jeremy Hinegardner		    jeremy at mlug.missouri.edu