[lug] stupid MSDN Q

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Tue Sep 4 19:07:55 MDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, D. Stimits said:

> What I'm afraid of is that when win "fixes" the partition it will in
> fact change the boundaries, not just boot records. Win has a way of
> intentionally trying to get rid of non-windows, at least on older win
> (and this is an old 98 disk).

Well, my Dell Inspiron came with Win Mill. Ed; I installed Linux after
shrinking the FAT partition.  Then sometime later deleted ME and installed
W2k in the same FAT partition.  Then again later I deleted W2k and
installed W98 (not SE) again in the same partition.  The Linux partition
remained intact.

I would be surprised if MSW changed the partition size during install, but
I would do a backup just in case.  Even if it did that however, I don't
see any reason why one couldn't just shrink it after install and restore
Linux after recreating the Linux partition(s).

John Karns                                        jkarns at csd.net