[lug] TCP Wrapers and Going After Bad People

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Sep 13 12:48:39 MDT 2001

John Karns wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Rob Nagler said:
>
> > > Maybe a RedHat expert would be able to shed some light on other tools
> > > for installing packages.
> >
> > Not an expert, but you can update/install files over the wire (ftp or http)
> > quite easily with rpm.  We use it as our internal software distribution
> > mechanism.  For example, I think the following will work:
> >
> > rpm -Uhv
> > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/powertools/i386/RedHat/RPMS
> /Zope-2.2.5-4.i386.rpm
> >
> > The -U says "upgrade or install". The -h prints hash marks.  The -v is
> > verbose.
>
> Since SuSE also uses RPM's, I assume that this mechanism would also work
> with SuSE.  But of course one would have to substitute the URL for SuSE's
> site.  Also since the two distro's are indeed distinct, it's not
> recommended to use the RPM's from one distro for the other; but if one
> were in a pinch, assuming the pkg of interest wasn't a system core pkg
> - and that person had appropriate skills, then it might be possible to do
> so in some cases.

SuSE actually has its own up2date equivalent system as part of Yast2.
Click one button and your system will get patched automatically.  Unlike
RH they have a better help system system (SDB), which they really need
since just about any RPM you find on rpmfind.net is for RH and
derivative systems.  The only place you can find SuSE rpms seems to be
the SuSE FTP server.

Ferdinand

Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com