[lug] TCP Wrapers and Going After Bad People

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 16:53:27 MDT 2001

>>>>> "Greg" == Greg Horne <jeerygh at hotmail.com> writes:

Greg> My friend is a debian user.  He was always really excited about
Greg> the apt-get feature.  I think it's cool too, is there an
Greg> equivilent on the other distro's?

For Red Hat, there's Red Hat Network:

    https://rhn.redhat.com/

You access this via the `up2date' program.  I hear that in the 7.x
series, up2date is pretty good (but then I would hear that, wouldn't
I?).  I'm still using 6.2 and I've never tried RHN.

As I recall, Connectiva has modified apt to use RPM.  I think they use
apt with their RPM-based distribution.

I've only ever used Red Hat Linux and Debian, so I'm not really
familiar with what other vendors provide.

Ximian has a vendor-neutral approach to this same feature via Red
Carpet (I think that is what it is called), but I've never tried that
(and I don't know exactly which vendors they support).

There's also the venerable rpmfind:

    http://www.rpmfind.net/

This is a web site with RPMs for many different RPM-based vendors.
You can access it from Gnome using gnorpm; I've had moderate (but not
great) success using this.

Tom