[lug] DSL Technical ?'s

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Sep 13 20:08:17 MDT 2001

* Nate Duehr (nate at natetech.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 09:50:51AM -0500, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
> > 1. Why can't Qwest provide any DSL service? Is it because (a)
> >    They don't provide SDSL service at all and don't have the
> >    equipment at the CO? or (b) bridges/tap/etc on my line
> >    to prevent ADSL from working?
>
> Most likely, Tim's response is correct -- however his use of the term
> "pair gain line" is a bit incorrect.  PairGain is actually a company
> who's products made it possbile to stuff two analog voice-grade lines
> down the same pair of copper.  They kinda started a trend in residential
> service, but were by no means the first to do such things.  There are
> other services like channel banks and GR-303 capable units that would
> preclude the use of the "extra bandwidth" on the copper pair for DSL or
> DSL-style services.  (Ever see the warnings in your DSL boxes that if
> you have a monitored security system you have to stop and call Qwest
> before you install your DSL modem?  This is because some kinds of
> security/fire-alarm systems use signals over the top of your copper
> voice phone pair to alert your monitoring company.)

I wasn't referreing to any particular brand of pair gain system.  We use
it as a very general term in the Telco world to mean "phone technology
that is not just copper."  I guess the more proper term would be
"Universal Digital Loop Carrier" or "Integrated Digital Loop Carrier,"
depending on if the Switch port was tied to the pair or not.  The only
thing that I was really tring to get across is that people that can't
get DSL are most often disqualified by "pair gain."  By that I mean, the F1
segement of their local phone loop is not a single copper pair.  It is a
digital signal carried with many other pots lines on a few copper pairs,
or a fiber arrangement.  Very many of the local loop customers now are
not served by a dedicated copper loop from CO to home these days.  That
is the major road block.  As is was in this case.

Tim