[lug] C++ libraries in Linux

Keith C. Herold herold at cslr.Colorado.EDU
Mon Sep 17 09:15:25 MDT 2001

You know, I just picked the Programmer's reference , too, and I must say,
it's exactly what I needed in terms of a quick reference.  I bought the
Josuttis book, and I like it, but I am already carrying a laptop, two AI
books, a reference manual (600 pgs) for a compiler construction toolkit
(builds compilers according to a context-free grammar:
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~eliuser/), plus blank paper (in case someone
needs to borrow some,  I try to work paperless).  That reference is about
the size of a Fodor's travel guide, and usually can answer the syntax
questions.  For anything else, I wait till I am in the same location as the
Josuttis text or refer to the c++ bible (which really doesn't explain much).

I was a little leary about posting a question for resources about C++ to the
list; the responses have all been very helpful.  I played with C++ before
the standard was approved, but didn't get very far, because my advisor
decided that java would be a better solution (after a month's work).  I am
trying to make a dedicated attempt to program everything in each of my
classes in a different language; python for the AI course, C++ for machine
learning, eli has it's own, and maybe perl for Information Retrieval.
Problem is, I only really know C and perl (but not the advanced stuff), and
I used to be handy with Java.  I expect I will spend two weeks ramping up on
C++, and the pseudo code in the AI book is essentially python... so...

Pity me.

In any case, these responses have shrunk my time spent searching through the
volumes(!) of returns google sends me, to those which are actually useful.
Thanks a lot!

--Keith