[lug] mpeg hardware encoding

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Thu Sep 20 10:10:12 MDT 2001

Hi Ferdinand,

  The only hardware that I know of that was supported in linux was a
kfir chip.  http://www.linuxtv.org/mpeg2/  BMK-Elektronik in Germany has
a card using it:  http://www.bmk-electronics.de/  (They have one of
those
evil websites that blows your browser to fullscreen.)

http://www.linuxtv.org/mpeg2/kfir.xml   has more information.

Hauppauge is using the same kfir chip on their WinTV PVR card but will
not release the specs.  Furthermore, their PVR card does not work with
the latest bttv drivers.

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvr_datasheet.htm

Nvidia might be coming out with something:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=personalcinema

Matrox claims that they have a codec with their G450 eTV card.
I suspect it is software only.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/tech_info/marv_g450.cfm

Finally, I've heard a rumor that CirusLogic may have some hardware
through one of their recent aquisitions.

The problem to date has been lack of drivers and the close-fistedness
of the hardware vendors.

Scott