[lug] mpeg hardware encoding

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Sep 20 11:32:59 MDT 2001

Scott and Michael:
Thank you for your postings.  Your responses made me realize that I should have
been more specific.  I am trying to read videos from a MiniDV camera over a
FireWire connection (IEEE 1394) and create MPEG videos.  All of the MPEG
hardware encoders I have seen so far seem to be limited to a vertical resolution
of around 240 lines.  The MiniDV standard offers around 400 lines, which I
would/need to take advantage of.
Apple offers a complete solution that even includes a DVD writer at a reasonable
price but I wanted to see if there was a cheaper way of doing what I need to do.
  Currently we can encode MPEG videos from AVI using Adobe Premier on WinNT.  It
takes about 2 hours for 10 min of video on a PIII-600.  The Mac does it faster
than real time at a cost of around $3200 (dual CPU) including everything or
slightly slower than real time for $2500 (single CPU).

I thought a similar solution might be available for PCs.

It is great to have some graphics experts on this list!

Ferdinand

Scott A. Herod wrote:

> Hi Ferdinand,
>
>   The only hardware that I know of that was supported in linux was a
> kfir chip.  http://www.linuxtv.org/mpeg2/  BMK-Elektronik in Germany has
> a card using it:  http://www.bmk-electronics.de/  (They have one of
> those
> evil websites that blows your browser to fullscreen.)
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/mpeg2/kfir.xml   has more information.
>
> Hauppauge is using the same kfir chip on their WinTV PVR card but will
> not release the specs.  Furthermore, their PVR card does not work with
> the latest bttv drivers.
>
> http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvr_datasheet.htm
>
> Nvidia might be coming out with something:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=personalcinema
>
> Matrox claims that they have a codec with their G450 eTV card.
> I suspect it is software only.
>
> http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/tech_info/marv_g450.cfm
>
> Finally, I've heard a rumor that CirusLogic may have some hardware
> through one of their recent aquisitions.
>
> The problem to date has been lack of drivers and the close-fistedness
> of the hardware vendors.
>
> Scott
>
> Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
>
>>HI,
>>I recall reading a post regarding mpeg hardware encoders on this list.  But as
>>hard as I tried I can't find this posting again in the archives.  Did my memory
>>play a trick on me or did someone do post info regarding hardware mpeg encoders
>>to this list?  If so could you post that info again?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Ferdinand
>>
>>--
>>Ferdinand Schmid